Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Thou Shalt Not Covet (Except I Did)

Maybe five years ago, I saw a woman in the bookstore carrying her baby in the coolest, most beautiful sling. At that point, I had never seen anyone use a sling before. Not only did the concept seem so logical, the fabric was unbelievably lovely. I actually stopped a stranger in a store to ask where she'd bought something.

She told me it was a Hotsling, so I went online and drooled. I wanted one so badly (and we weren't even trying yet) that I went ahead and ordered one for a friend who was expecting. And of course, since I was already ordering, it only made sense that I should be fiscally responsible and order one for myself as well. To save on shipping. Right? And of course, the one I liked was in the "Discontinued - Sale" section, so it was deeply discounted and I might never see it again...

So I have this beautiful sling hidden in the back of my bottom dresser drawer. I used to run across it every now and then and look at it and dream. After a time, I pushed it further back in the drawer and piled stuff on top so I don't do that anymore, but it's still there waiting. I know I'm not alone here. I know some of you have done it too. What baby item did you see before you got your positive (or before you were even TTC), and decide you just had to have? Include a link if you can!

11 comments:

  1. I bought an outfit with a pink little Chinese jacket for my cousin's baby, but then I kept it for myself because it was so cute. That feels good to get it off my chest. I've been hiding it in a closet for the last 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started buying clothes for a girl about 1 year before we started TTC..which would now be over 5 years ago! I bought dresses, shoes, shirts, everything! I was so certain I was going to have a girl and so soon. However, once we started TTC and it wasn't working..I gave up and finally put it all in a big shoe box and hid it in my closet. From time to time I would get it out and just stare at it. However, 4 years after TTC and I get to use it..so here is getting to use that sling VERY, VERY soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many times i have walked thru the baby section or the toys and i wanted to buy something. I resisted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww. I really hope that you get to use that sling soon.

    I never bought anything before we starting trying because I sensed that there would be problems. And yea, i was right :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a cute brown and purple dotted onsie that hides out amongst my underwear and bras. Nothing too special, just a little hope that is buried and waiting to come out and be worn by a human.
    I love slings! I definately want one too. Its funny, I was looking on craigslist the other day for strollers, yes I am bat-shit crazy but I need to keep hope alive. Manifest destiny, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i actually refuse to buy anything, i think it would just depress me further.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought a little picture for the future nursery. It wasn't a big deal--a few dollars at a thrift shop, but I NEEDED that picture. I was certain that my future kid would love it.

    It's still waiting in the back of a closet somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought a onesie at a New Kids on the Block concert (I heart NKOTB) that said "Step by Step" and had little footprints. Clearly a must buy for my future baby. And it's been sitting in the back of my closet on a shelf covered in other clothes for 2 years. Hopefully there'll be a nice healthy baby to wear it in February!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've wanted to buy baby things but am afraid I'll jinx it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH, I would have done the same thing. Sometimes I would even maternity shop online. So pathetic. It does make you feel better, even if just for a bit , right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had bought a stroller, as it was 50% off and a cot set as I was so sure we were having a baby soon. Infertility slowed that down. It was all hidden in the spare room which I barely went into but 42 cycles later with the help of IVF we finally got our BFP and in April this year was able to finally use it all with the birth of our precious daughter.
    You will get to use your wrap

    ReplyDelete