Saturday, October 2, 2010

I've Been Tagged!

There's this "getting-to-know-you" game that's been making the rounds through BlogWorld in recent weeks, and I just got tagged - I'm IT! NoBabyRuth tagged me since we were Cycle of Fail Buddies last month. If you haven't checked out her story yet, you should. Her life as an expat totally fascinates me, as does her European IF Journey. The game goes like this: answer the series of questions and tag three bloggers who you'd like to see answer them as well. Pretty simple!

1) What is your dream occupation?

Archeologist. I think this is an outgrowth of my career as a potter. Ceramics is a field in which you can't help but be aware of the immense and intriguing history of the craft, of all of the people who went before you and the objects they left behind. I think it would be terribly exciting to be the one who actually gets to find, excavate and identify those artifacts, to extrapolate their histories and the stories of the people who made and used them.

2) What is the best dish that you can cook?

White Chili - check it out.

3) Have you ever been mentioned in the newspaper? What for?

Yes. A few years ago, I was featured in a short article about the non-profit art center where I was working. Nothing particularly special, they wanted a photo and I was the only one doing anything "artsy" when the photographer arrived. I was probably mentioned in high school as well, but can't remember specifics.

4) What’s the worst and/or most memorable job you’ve ever had?

Toss-up...

WORST: dishwasher or buffet waitress in Florida. The dishwasher job was just plain gross. Other people's partially eaten meals and garbage, and everything all steamy, wet and mushy. YUCK. And I'm sure you can just imagine how rewarding it would be to wait tables at an all-you-can-eat buffet in a retirement community in Florida.

MOST MEMORABLE: teaching pottery. That would be the thing I am best at, the thing I enjoy most, the thing I promise myself that I will get to do again. It is so rewarding to show/tell another person how to do something they've never done before and don't really believe they CAN do, and then see their excitement when they get it right for the first time! Nothing like it.

5) When you were a teenager, at what age did you envision yourself getting married? How old were you in reality when you got married?

When I was a teenager, I was certain without a doubt that I would be dead by age 24. I couldn't tell you why. It was just something I believed. I never dreamed I would live long enough to get married. Needless to say this strange belief evaporated after my 24th birthday. Professor and I got married when I was 36 years old (though I still feel like I'm in my early 20's).

6) What’s your most hated household chore? What’s your favorite?

I can't honestly say that I have a favorite household chore. I don't like ANY of them. I am a terrible housewife. The relative squalor in which I exist would probably appall you (it appalls me, just not enough to motivate me very often), although I suppose things aren't really dirty so much as dusty and cluttered. My most hated chore would probably be cleaning/changing the catbox. My least hated would probably be loading/unloading the dishwasher.

7) What’s your earliest memory?

My earliest memory is not really of a specific event, but more a collection images in my mind. They are from the house my grandma lived in when I was a toddler, the pallet she made up on the floor for my bed, the kitchen with an old metal highchair that I sat in to eat, the prickly holly bushes with bright red berries by the front door. I've asked my mom about these rememberings, and she says I would have been a little more than 2 years old. I know they are actual memories because we don't have any photos taken in that house.

@thisispersonal
@the2weekwait
@LiberalGranola

TAG - you're IT!

1 comment:

  1. Wait, you're a potter? Where have I been that I didn't know that? My uncle is a potter and when I was little I would always play in his studio. My sister and I would make stuff on his wheels. The bulk of what he does is raku ware. What about you?

    ReplyDelete