For those of you not on Twitter, my Monday morning monitoring revealed only TWO viable follicles at 22mm each and estradiol holding steady below 200. Basically, fuck all.
My clinic has a 4 follicle minimum for IVF retrieval, so they recommended to convert to IUI. When I explained the situation with my FSA money, they gave me the option to move forward with IVF if I really wanted to. But. The success rate for IVF with two follicles versus IUI with two follicles is the same. Obviously, IVF comes with some risks that IUI does not have. It is surgery and there is no guarantee that they will actually collect the eggs.
There is no chance of another IVF cycle this calendar year. I called the FSA administrator and they confirmed that if the procedure is not performed before December 31, 2011, I WILL lose the money in my FSA. So we are now poring over the eligible expenses list to see what we can use the balance to purchase.
This was our choice. And we chose the IUI. As badly as I want to close the book on this process and as heartbreaking as it is to essentially get cancelled again... this feels like the right decision. Silver lining: No PIO and we get to have sex as soon as the IUI is done.