Thursday, September 29, 2011

In My Dreams

As promised on Twitter...

I've been having some trouble getting to sleep lately (hmmm... wonder why) and the last couple of nights, I've added nightmares into the mix. Suffice it to say I'm getting a little wacky with the lack of sleep. Anyhoo, I woke up from this particular dream very distressed and was unable to get back to sleep. It took me a good twenty-four hours of subconscious "chewing" before I had one of those ubiquitous Ah-HA moments. I'm not sure Freudian is the right word, but for what it's worth, this is for all you dream enthusiasts:

The backdrop is present day reality, and the Professor and I are due to start our IVF cycle in a week. The dream starts out moments after I've had unprotected sex with a drug dealer. Yeah, I know. He wasn't anyone familiar, just a generic composite of a vaguely nerdy guy. So I'm trying to talk to this guy and freaking out about this unbelievable thing I've done, terrified I might get pregnant, terrified I might wind up with some horrible disease. I grab my purse to go home and confess to Prof, and when I look inside it, my wallet has been stolen.

Like I said, it took me a good twenty-four hours to "get" it and when I did, I laughed out loud. Need me to spell it out?

Drug Dealer = Medical Establishment
Unprotected Sex =Infertility Treatments
My Fears = My Fears
Stolen Wallet = Cost of Treatment

4 comments:

  1. Ummm.... that is kindof a hilarious dream, given the context of where you are in your life. I'm laughing as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes perfect sense to me! Hope you get some restful sleep soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous that your nightmares make some sense. I had one last night about being hired as a grad school TA by Tyra Banks, and then getting fired. And then fighting to keep my job by cooking a "fashionable dessert". And yes, it was a nightmare, because I was distressed the entire time.
    let's see you analyze that! :-P (seriously please do because I found it highly disturbing)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hilarious and great interpretation!

    ReplyDelete